THIS is my most beloved dish (as judged by the housemates of TFM and guests!) I actually stole the original recipe from somewhere, I can’t remember where it was so long ago but credit goes to them! I’ve obviously added some of my own tricks to it since and wanted to share it with all my vegan (and non vegan, you can eat it too, it won’t kill you) friends this winter.
Ingredients (feeds 6):
- 8 Linda McCartney Sausages (plain, or whatever veggie sausage you like!)
- 3 Red Onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 slices of raw ginger
- 4 red apples (of any variety, peeled or unpeeled, it’s up to you!)
- Chopped fresh rosemary
- Veg (optional): Peas, Runner Beans, Cabbage, Kale…
- Veg stock (2 pints)
- Seasoning: salt and pepper, basil and thyme
- Cook Lindas in oven on 200 for 15 minutes (do not overcook)
- Add 1tbsp of olive oil to a large pan on a medium heat. Slice onions, dice ginger and garlic and add to pan, cook until onions start to go soft.
- Cut and remove core from apples, cut into slices and add to pan, cook until slightly brown,
- Cut Lindas into chunks and add to pan
- Add rosemary, salt and pepper and other seasoning and stir in
- Add 1 pint of stock and stir through, adding extra veg
- Add 2nd pint and bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer under a lid for 30 minutes.
I also want to use this post to highlight the still rising homelessness that is happening all over the country but specifically in Bristol which has the highest rate of homelessness outside of London. Our previous mayor, George ‘the shitty’ Ferguson promised more aid for the growing number of rough sleepers but like every crooked politician, didn’t deliver that well. You don’t have to look very hard in central Bristol to find rough sleepers. I see them all the time, from the top of Church Road, up Park Street, the Bear Pit and Gloucester Road. I see them with damp, mouldy duvets sleeping in groups outside the hot vents of the Marriott in Cabot Circus, I see them begging on the high street, not even for money, just for someone to look at them like a human being.
We’ve come to accept homelessness as a normal side-affect of inner city living, we put the blame entirely on those people, fabricating our own stories about them from the cruel headlines of the Daily Fail and others who condemn them. I really fucking hate it. Especially when I’m walking home from work in the cold shitty rain, thinking about the house I have to go back to. I want to help all of these folks, but even people seen helping them are treated with disgust. I was once asked why I even bother after buying a sandwich and a hot drink for someone in Broad Quay. My answer is always the same, because I have more. I can’t give these folks security but I can damn well have a conversation with them and try to give them some small comforts like a flipping hot drink or something. People’s attitudes towards the homeless fucking disgust me (I’m getting really pissed off writing this, hence all the swearing).
I have no end point to this little post, just simply to remind everyone that people on the streets shouldn’t be pitied, or looked down on, or ignored. Please bare that in mind next time someone asks you for spare change, or you pass them sleeping in a doorway. You don’t have to give them money, just a piece of humanity.